Sustainable travel is becoming more and more popular right now, and for good reason. Not only can it help reduce your carbon footprint, but it can also be an incredibly rewarding way to explore the world and make a positive impact on the environment. In this blog post, I‘ll mention some tips for how to travel sustainably, from researching your destination to being aware of your waste–reduction efforts.
Just me out and about in the nature.
1. Travel with a reusable water bottle and refill it when you can.
2. Pack your own snacks for on-the-go snacking, like nuts, fruit and granola bars.
3. Take advantage of free Wi-Fi offered in most coffee shops.
4. Save money by staying at hostels instead of hotels, if that’s something you don’t mind doing.
5. Dispose of waste properly.
6. Use public transportation like buses and trains.
7. Ride a bike wherever you can.
8. Buy secondhand clothes to take with you on trips. I’ve found many beautiful secondhand pieces – dresses, tops, coats etc.
9. Respect the environment and wildlife.
10. Leave no trace when you visit a destination.
11. Explore local markets and zero waste stores.
12. Support local communities and economies.
13. Purchase local produce and support local businesses.
14. Pack light to reduce luggage weight.
15. Carry reusable utensils.
16. Research local attractions and activities that are sustainable.
17. Travel to destinations that are known for their sustainable practices and environmental protection. Have a look at this article to learn more. I’m very pleased to see my home – Latvia – on both the list of Top 20 destinations for sustainable tourism in 2020 and Top ten countries for environmental sustainability in 2020!
18. Plan longer stays to reduce frequent flights.
19. Choose direct flights to minimize fuel consumption.
20. Prioritize ethical wildlife tours and activities.
21. Join beach clean-ups and environmental events.
22. Stick to designated trails and respect local ecosystems.
23. Explore on foot or by bike for a lower carbon footprint.
24. Support local economies by buying local products and dining.
25. Share your sustainable travel experiences to inspire others.
What are the ways you keep your trips sustainable? Let me know in the comments!